Week 1 Post #3 Reflection

 This was a great first week in this class! I am learning so much about web 2.0 already. I feel like I barely know anything coming into this class and I am excited to broaden my horizons this semester. I appreciated learning about some of the benefits and challenges of social media learning this week. I have really been pondering which tools or applications I want to explore this semester. I always hear about people loving Instagram, but I haven't spent much time there. I am excited to learn more about how that platform works. I want to learn more about which platforms appeal to the young learners. I have two kids in elementary kids and they are always asking me to "post" family videos. I ask them where I should post them and they just say, "You know, where people can see them!" Even at this young age they are aware of "posting" and have a desire for others to see and validate our videos. It is a foreign feeling for me. I did not grow up with social media and it took me many years to even join Facebook. I rarely post and people probably think I am a bot account or something. :) It is interesting to me that my kids, who have never really had experience with social media, are already thinking about that type of validation. I am interested in learning about the motivation behind social media and why it drives people. It feels like some people share their whole lives there! I am curious about this and how to use those motivations in creating web 2.0 learning experiences. 

Comments

  1. Hi, I'm glad to hear you had a great first week! It's fascinating how even young children understand the concept of sharing and validation online. I share your interest in the motivations behind social media use and look forward to exploring how we can leverage these motivations in our Web 2.0 learning experiences. Here's to a semester of broadening our horizons together!
    P.S. I love the image on your cover page—it's so peaceful and calming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I grew up with mountains all around and now live very far from them. They are my happy place. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Lotta, I enjoyed reading your reflection here! I resonate with you on how sharing something public can be sometimes intimidating. For me, I choose to be selective - I am active on my private Instagram account, but mainly passive on public accounts. I hope to also explore the questions you rose here on motivation behind social media usage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went private with all of my accounts in the past year and it has been such a freeing experience. Even though my usage has dwindled, I find myself caring less about what I post and therefore gaining much more true interaction on my content.

      Delete
    2. Hi Idam and Jen,
      Thanks for sharing your experiences! I like to hear how you are using your private accounts. I think there definitely can be benefits to social media, especially if you are far from family and friends. I'm looking forward to learning with you this semester!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts