Week 3 Post #3

The Lurker

I was thinking about the Shirky article shared by Dr. Dennen. Some people claim that lurkers are free riders. Some people think they are necessary. I have to admit that I am a lurker most of the time. I rarely post online, though I belong to a lot of groups, or "communities". I belong to several fitness and macros groups. I belong to several groups for my favorite tv shows. I belong to some gardening groups. I love my travel groups. I love to find new workouts and new recipes. I love to see pictures and hear stories of people's travels. I love getting travel tips and seeing travel itinerates. I love laughing at memes or funny videos. I love getting tips and learning how to garden in a new climate. I appreciate all these groups and everyone who shares. However, I never share. This week I really had to ask myself why? Maybe my lurking is really a self-confidence problem. I never share because I don't think what I have to say would bring that much value to anyone else. Several years ago I shared a personal story with a friend who posted an article. A total stranger attacked me and was accusing me of crazy stuff. I said that everyone was entitled to their own opinion. She was telling me to kill myself and became very passionate. I had other friends trying to step in and defend me. I didn't even think I said anything controversial! I really just said that everyone was entitled to their opinion. 🤷I think that experience kind of scarred me from posting online. I see people being nasty to total strangers and I can't wrap my head around it. Even though I have traveled a lot and I do have a lot of tips, I probably wouldn't share them online. I've been worked out consistently and counted macros for years and do have things to say, but I probably wouldn't. As I was pondering about this, I realized I am also a lurker in live settings as well. I am usually the one who stands in the back quietly listening to everyone else. I enjoy being around people. I love hearing people talk about themselves, but I rarely volunteer information about myself. Most of my friends will tell me that I am a "great listener". However, most of my friends don't know that much about me. Even total strangers will start talking to me about their personal problems. I can't tell you how many times we've been somewhere and someone started talking to me and told me something very personal. After they leave my husband will say, "Who was that?" And honestly I have no idea. My husband likes to say I attract people who need someone to talk to. Perhaps that's true. Perhaps I am just a private person. Perhaps I don't like talking about myself. Perhaps I don't find myself interesting. Perhaps all these things are true? I have to tell you...this class has provided a lot more self-reflection than I anticipated! 

Comments

  1. Hi Lotta, Like you, I tend to be a lurker, and several factors contribute to my inactivity in posting. One significant reason is that I enjoy my privacy. However, a second factor is that I enjoy interacting with people face-to-face more. I feel more connected when interacting with family and friends and reading their body language and facial expressions than when using social media. Plus, those with whom I have a close relationship know that the best way to reach out to me is via phone or text rather than via a social media site. As such, I usually only frequent social media a little outside of this class. Additionally, I acknowledge the risk that, as a produser, you must be willing to accept criticism, which is only sometimes positive, as you experienced. Luckily, some sites do have the ability to turn off comments. Yet, the downside is that you also cannot receive positive reviews, feedback, and interaction from your viewers who value your work. As such, I recommend performing a cost-analysis if its worth it on your physical and mental health. It might be worth exploring to expand your professional career, but not worth it from a personal perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts