Week 7 Post #3

Debatable Detox


Isn't it crazy how much we use our phones? My 24-hour detox was incredibly eye-opening. I know I use my phone a lot for work and school and life. However, I am even more involved than I thought. My phone and I have a serious and committed relationship... and that is not my favorite thing. I knew I could not totally detach from my phone and computer for even 24 hours, but it was shocking how often I caught myself wanting to open up my email app or just pick up my phone and check the messages coming in on Teams. I had to put my phone in the other room, but then my watch was still vibrating! I had to conscientiously ignore my watch. This actually came at a really great time because I was out of town with my family. This helped me unplug even more and take another step away from the busyness of life and focus on my family. It was a bit frustrating because when I did make it back to my phone I had tons of chat messages and requests coming at me from multiple people. I ended up working late into the night. However, I kept the TV off and put my phone to sleep and just focused on work. It was nice not to have so many distractions all day long and to just say no to all the temptations on the phone. Even though the temptations aren't necessarily bad and sometimes they really do have to be addressed, it was nice to realize that I don't always have to jump straight to my phone the minute someone tries to contact me. So, even though it is debatable if I was really able to detox, I still really appreciated the experience! 

Comments

Popular Posts