Week 5 Post #1

 Right to Education?

It is so fun when my classes overlap! I am also taking 5250 (Open Learning and Open Educational Resources) this semester and we are learning all about copyright laws which include property, privacy, and ethics. This is such an interesting and daunting topic to me. I am not going to lie - I get really scared about this kind of stuff! I love the OER repositories exist and I am grateful for people who contribute to those. I still just feel like there is so much to learn. Some websites and resources are great about listing their licenses and explaining what can and cannot be used. However, I have found that a lot of resources are not. I am interested in learning more about the tools this week that can help us understand and curate intellectual property better. In the article titled "Open Educational Resources: Enabling Universal Education", they refer to new distance education technologies such as OpenCourseWares and talk about the universal right to education. I am curious to hear thoughts about this. Should everyone have a right to education? How do we make that happen? Is OER the answer? What else needs to happen?


Caswell, T., Henson, S., Jensen, M., & Wiley, D. (2008). Open educational resources: Enabling universal education.Links to an external site. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 9(1), 1-11.

Comments

  1. Hi Lotta,
    Great questions. I agree with the intent of universal education and support the availability of learning sources for everyone. So I do think everyone should have the right to education but it will be very challenging to make it available to all. The entire world is not at the same level technologically so having online open resources will only be available to those with the right tools. For now, though, we can start by at least having resources available to all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts